Rundy Purdy was born in 1981 and homeschooled until graduation from highschool. An eclectic writer, he is the author of several novels, and has been telling stories since before he could write. He is best known for his moving account of caring for his ailing grandfather in The Sea is Wide: A Memoir of Caregiving with writing described as, “touching as ‘Tuesdays With Morrie,’ as tender as John Bayley’s memoir of his wife, Iris Murdoch, and in many ways truer and more tough-minded than either.” Rundy is touring and speaking as he seeks to help other caregivers through his experience at caregivingreality.com.
A few highlights:
- At fifteen Rundy started writing the first novel he would actually finish (but not publish).
- Rundy served as the editor for the book Portraits for Fabric Lovers.
- In 2006 Rundy founded the independent publishing company Wild Jot Press.
- In September 2006 Rundy began to care for his grandfather, who was suffering from Alzheimer’s.
- In December 2006 Rundy Published his humorous novel The Stuttering Bard of York.
- In August 2008 Jane Gross at the NYT blog “The New Old Age” profiled Rundy’s writing.
- In September 2009 Rundy’s grandfather died, he would continued to care for his grandmother until her passing in June 2014.
- On June 27th, 2011 The Stuttering Duke of York, was published.
- In June 2012, Rundy graduated Valedictorian as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN).
- In June 2015 Rundy’s story of caring for his grandfather The Sea is Wide: A Memoir of Caregiving was published and the website caregivingreality.com was founded to assist other caregivers. You can learn more about his work in this vital field there. Since then Rundy has been traveling to speak, sharing his inspirational story of encouragement and hope with other caregivers.
When not writing, Rundy enjoys reading, designing websites, painting and drawing, bicycling, spending time outside, taking photographs, buildings things and putzing around—not necessarily in that order. Currently he lives in upstate New York.
For the curious, “Rundy” is not his legal name, but it is indeed what he has been called since an infant.